Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review of 2, part two. . . .



This last week I had a few nights to my self, so I sat down and watched Game of Shadows without the dismal viewing conditions I had had to put up with the First Time.

But I can't say I feel any better about the movie, and would agree with the post from yesterday about some, or most, of it's flaws.

I'm sorry, but watching it, I still do not see RDJ's as Holmes. A great actor in his own right, but not Holmes. I think the thing that bothered me the most was RDJ's tongue locked speech, and ineffectual accent, (He should have watched Duvall's Watson.), that at most times sounded drunk.

I still loved the actor who portrayed Moriarty, and Jude Law is still a good Watson, as well as the actress that did justice to Mary, but the script, with the exception of Moriarty, does not take advantage of any of these great actors. (To my surprise, I did end up liking Stephen Fry a little more as Mycroft!)

Just like the first one, it was a mad, unconnected dash through some wonderful set pieces. Instead of lingering in some of these wonderful scenes, we just hurtle through them.
The relationship between Holmes and Watson was painful to watch this time, and although RDJ's Holmes did display some wonderful emotion about losing his best friend and companion to marriage, often times it came of as twisted.
Again, like previously stated, the slow-mo was way over used.

If I am looking forward to a third installment, and I am not sure that I am, it is only because it gives them one more time to get it (or at least part of it) right.


2 comments:

  1. You made some interesting points about the movie. Yes, Downey Jr does not make a conventional Holmes, by any stretch of imagination. Quite uncanonical, still an entertaining one, if nothing less...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an easier time with it thinking it is a Victorian James Bond movie.
    I think it is more a product of Guy than Robert.

    ReplyDelete