Monday, January 14, 2013

The reviews are in Episode #12 Elementary- Missed Opportunity.

Was 'M' going to be Moriarty or someone else. I think that was the big question going into this weeks episode.
And I also think a collective sigh of relief went out from the Sherlockian world that 'M' did not turn out to be Moriarty.
So with the relief we felt that this ex-football player is not going to be the cerebral Moriarty what else good came out of this episode?

Not much I'm afraid.
I did not come up with a whole lot of canonical references, and I am looking forward to reading some other blogs to see what I missed.
But here are the few I caught.
There was of course the many references to bee's.
The hook hanging someone up could be from RESI. But the story did not explain why 'M' was killing his victims.
'M' being ex-military.
The use of irregulars.
A reference to fees charged for work. In this case, Watson's fee for working with Sherlock.
The baton use on 'M' could refer to Holmes' ability in single-stick.
Holmes' being judge and jury, although rather extreme in this case.
His knowledge of anatomy.

I hope there are more that I missed. (I'm going to check buddy2blogger here in a min. to see if he caught more.)

The acting was very good in this episode. And I like the fact that 'Watson' came up with her own reasons for staying.

I still don't get the need for a hooker in each episode.

Now, what went wrong.
This story introducing 'M' could have been such a great story line. But instead of following a deductive path to first 'M' and then his connection to Moriarty we find that all this is really Moriarty's doing and Sherlock has deduced nothing to get to any conclusions.
He did not really discover 'M', and he sure didn't find the connection to Moriarty. Both were given to him. So much could have been done with Sherlock following leads to discover 'M' was only an instrument in Moriarty's larger plan.
The story is getting a little to caught up with why Holmes and Watson are the way they are and not good interesting cases.

This time I give the story only

because I think it's heart is in the right place, but not the writing.

4 comments:

  1. Nice catch about the single stick reference.

    Agree that there were not much of deductions in this episode.

    I believe 'M' was killing his victims for his employer(s). His modus operandi is gruesome no doubt, but he is an assassin for hire, if I remember correctly.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you are right about 'M' working for Moriarty, and hopefully motive will explain itself as the story goes along.
    I was hoping Sherlock would discover the connection, and not be told of the connection by a henchman about to be tortured.
    Holmes has very little on 'M' that is fact till he captures and tortures him, and as far as we know, nothing on Moriarty.
    I was just a little disappointed about the lack of discovery.
    But it was a well acted episode.
    Still enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Holmes not knowing about Moriarty is a major downer. The Canonical Holmes knew about the unknown force controlling crime in London. That Miller's Holmes did not perceive the same is quite off-putting.

      The notion of Holmes and Moran working together to bring down Moriarty is still very promising. I look forward to this plot thread developing in the future episodes.

      Delete
    2. I agree. It is building well, with lots of places to go.
      Thanks.

      Delete