Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February at the Empty House


On Friday, February 3, Sophia and I made the trip to Alongi’s for the monthly meeting of the Occupants of the Empty House.  After saying hello to our friends and enjoying the conversation we ordered dinner.  I highly recommend the shrimp scampi, which was outstanding.  During dinner we discussed the BBC series Sherlock.  Everyone seems to agree it is an outstanding series. Each of us recalled various scenes from each installment that we enjoyed. 

We had a silent auction to benefit The Sherlock Holmes Collections housed at the University of Minnesota libraries.  I had the winning bid on the Michael Dirda’s book, On Conan Doyle.  I’m looking forward to enjoying a good read.  This is another  great cause the Occupants support.

The conversation turned to The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist.  While it is a little chilly to be cycling this time of year, the paper was excellent.  Cycling was a favorite past time during the Victorian Era.  It provided people with a means of transportation that provided exercise and allowed the cyclist to enjoy a quiet ride through the countryside away from the hustle of London’s busy streets.

Sophia and I enjoy our trips to Du Quoin.  And while we may not attend every meeting in person we know we will be updated when The Camden House Journal arrives. With that, I’ll end this month’s installment from the “House”.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update from down east.
    I'll make one this year I promise.

    ReplyDelete