Sunday, February 18, 2018

Almost put it in my pocket. . .

While visiting a small Carnegie Library on Friday I checked out the shelves for Sherlock Holmes books.















This library is celebrating it's first one hundred years this summer.

In the old part of the library the shelves are just as old as the building.
And many of the books pre-date the building its self.

We found many copies from the late 1800's
Like I said, I went looking for Sherlock Holmes books, and more specifically any works by Doyle.

I found the four shown copies you see in the picture. (No not the Roddy Doyle one, the one to the right of it.)

While I have seen individual copies of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, The White Company and the Lost World before, I had never seen a copy of Great Shadow.


 I looked inside and found the copyright date on this addition as 1920.

Wow!

While the thought of slipping it into my pocket was only fleeting, I can not fib and say the thought of finding some way to get it home did not cross my mind.

But it still rests on the shelf where I noticed it.

May ask the librarian if I can make a donation some day to acquire it.

We'll see.

I did find another couple of books in the romance section that had Holmes' name in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment