Friday, October 19, 2012

Review 3 Elementary. . .

I have to admit, I am liking the show.
That is not to say it is without it's faults.
But I do look forward to the show now.

I think I will stick by my comment of thinking it is more accessible than 'Sherlock' to the viewers who are not in on all the 'inside jokes'.

I liked the cases referenced in the episode.

Although not as eloquently done as in the Canon, the reference to Watson being a catalyst for inspiration although not being inspiration itself was nice. I am not sure a non-Sherlockian would have picked up on that, but I thought it was good.

As was the lack of sleep when working on cases.

Since gun shoots would not be allowed in New York to spell out 'E.R.'
on the wall, the knife throwing may have eluded to that. And it may also referenced the pinning of correspondence to the mantel place with a pen knife, although I hope not, since there is a good mantel place in the apartment.

Finding and explaining the clues was much better done this week.

I think the case may have been a little reference to Sussex Vampire.

Watson's roll seemed a little diminished in this one, and Lucy Liu's presences was not quite a strong, but I think the rest of the story was well done and made up for that.

Gregson's character needs to expand a little and I hope Bell doesn't give in so quickly.

Mr. Millers performance was a little toned down which allowed for a better story.

All the cardboard boxes probably referred to Holmes' A-Z files.

Holmes' personal habits are still way off from the books, but so far that doesn't cause me much worry
.
I liked the interaction between Watson and Holmes after some of the possible insight into Holmes' earlier days.
'221b' is looking a little better.

So far I think it is working out OK without a Mrs. Hudson, she would probably have to be played to close to the one in 'Sherlock' and would be to obvious and distracting.

Over all, I am really liking the show.

4 out of 5 pipes for this one.

6 comments:

  1. Nice listing of the references, esp. the knife throwing.

    I think the cardboxes contained the books/magazines from the previous victims. If I remember correctly, Holmes makes a deduction based on one of the magazines.

    I too miss Lestrade. Gregson is just not a good replacement ;)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    Madison
    maddiesmith01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete