Thursday, October 25, 2012

Steampunk Detective . . . . a review.

I like good steampunk. ( 'I like blue lemurs and I don't know why. . .')
I have read a couple I have really enjoyed. (usually by Kenneth Oppel).
I like the idea of taking Victorian atmosphere and mixing it with science fiction. Making things that fly or go under water, that are built out of wood and leather and old iron has an appeal.  (Although the physics of  things can sometimes be a problem.)
Imagine being able to buy a microwave or computer that looks very Victorian! I would love it.
It is kinda like taking all the things we love to use in this day and age and decking it all out very Victorian.
I was hoping 'Steampunk Detective' (by Darrell Pitt) was going to fit into that niche for me.

The book unashamedly advertises itself as a thinly veiled Sherlock Holmes book. And the lead character is a pretty good, older, likable, Sherlock Holmes, although with a different name.
You can tell the writer is very capable, and his style is very easy to read. His locations and descriptions are for the most part pretty well done. However, most of the contraptions and inventions in the book seem to have been used in other books, and then over done in this book.
And the plot is a little weak, mixing characters from late 1800's and early 1900's a little to much.
Just as a part of the story starts to develop it takes either an abrupt end or becomes a little to convoluted. Unfortunately 'Sherlock Holmes' solves things in such a way that makes part of the action of another character rather useless and unneeded. If it had been done in a more comical way, it could have been fun.
Action sequences are repeated to often (how many chases on top of things do ya need in one story?).
Other than the two lead characters, most of the others are rather shallow in development. We have a nice lead female character that is showing some spunk and seems like she will take an active part in the story, then she just basically disappears from the tale.
The use of real or other fictional characters in the book is not done well enough, or is over done, depending on who they are.
It's pacing and weak story line, unfortunately made me wish the book would end so I could get to this review.

This does not mean I did not find things I enjoyed about the book.
At the end of the book, Darrell Pitt asks for thoughts on the book, and I take that as also wanting suggestions, and I intend to do that.

I liked the lead characters, both need some development, but are likable and could be made into good young adult reading.
I think the genre could use a could Sherlock Holmes type story without becoming to science fiction.

But, probably the best use for this book would be to give it  to young Sherlockians and see how many Sherlockian references they can find.
It would make for a fun little test.

It will be interesting to see if Mr. Pitt can develop this into a readable series.

I read the kindle version of the book.

2 comments:

  1. As the title suggests, the book seems to be inspired by the Downey Jr movies. Your review also confirms the same thing - lot of explosions/action scenes...

    Agree with you about the book appealing to young Sherlockians. This book seems more geared towards that demographics..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed for younger readers, but if they have read a lot of steampunk, I believe it will fall short for them.
    If it can build on it's strong points for further books, it could still work.

    ReplyDelete