Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Reviews are in Part Two - Elementary episode two.

Well, I have to say, I am liking the show, and I think that has more to do with Lucy Liu than anything.
You can tell she is a real strong actress, and maybe should be the one playing Shirley Holmes.

With that said, let's take the show for how we have it.
I think Mr. Miller is doing an OK job with the character, and I don't know enough about his other works to know if he could do it better.
His Holmes, however, does come off as a rather immature individual and at times I find myself thinking of 'Without a Clue'. We are so use to Holmes having control over his emotions most of the time, that Mr. Millers performance comes off as somewhat of a surprise. That is not to say that that is a bad thing.
Mr Miller is not convincing, yet, in his delivery of of standard Sherlockian lines. (I am thinking of the mental attic lines in this show.) And that could be a lack of knowledge about the material or any number of other reasons.
We do not see in this Holmes, yet, an individual that we could see Watson somewhat in awe of.
And that could allow for a lot of development in the show.
Where we are use to Holmes always caring about his outward appearances, behavior wise and habit wise, Mr Millers Holmes is not suffering in those constraints. It seems that maybe Watson's roll in this series could easily be directed towards preparing Holmes for the roll we expect of him to fill.
We see in this Holmes a Holmes that is definitely more in need of a Watson than any other Holmes we have seen, with maybe the exception of RDJr's Holmes. ( I still like Judd Law's Watson also.)
And Lucy Liu's Watson is stepping right up into that part.
She is shown taking control of the situation many times so far in the show and standing toe-to-toe with Holmes during confrontations.
She contributes to each cases offering clues and even social guidance.
For Sherlockians who have been longing for a strong Watson, she is giving us that.

What do you think was the purpose of the yelling at the coma patient part in the show?
Was that a tribute to 'House', or just another show of an immature Holmes.
Another place where Watson was more than just a sounding board.

And how about side kick Bell?
A nod to Dr. Bell perhaps.

Over all I am liking the show and find it easier to watch than 'Sherlock' at the moment.

I still find myself expecting things from 'Sherlock' and I don't from 'Elementary'.
Just my thoughts.



1 comment:

  1. I did not catch the reference to Dr Bell. Nice catch, John.

    As you rightly pointed out, Lucy Liu is still the best thing about this show.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete