Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I may have been wrong about those two. . . .

Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.
There,. . . that didn't hurt to bad.

Although I have liked "Sherlock" from the first time I watched in while actually in England in 2010, happy to break the news upon my return at our local scion meeting. But I must admit, I had not jumped on the band wagon for Moffat and Gatiss as some others (who, as it now appears, were much wiser than I) had.
I did agree that the show was the best thing that ever happened to Holmes and Watson since Brett and Burke/Hardwicke.
But being generally not a science fiction fan, and specifically not interested in following  "Dr. Who", I was reluctant to give credit to "Dr Who" writers and actors. I'd had a bad experience back in the 1990's when Holmes and Who clashed at a banquet with Brett and I definitely did not want to see the two mixed again.
Surely those two were just involved in some little way, but the actual work on the series was done by others who actually had strong Sherlockian connections and knowledge.

With all the attention being given to the upcoming showing of series three, I sat down and watched Moffat and Gatiss in "Unlocking Sherlock" the other night.
I sort of expected those two to sit down and explain in some convoluted why the theories they had about how Holmes could fit into the modern era, but to find out others were actually doing most of the grunt work.

I was, as it turns out, pleasantly surprised that that was not the case.

Instead I found myself watching two very sincere people who were very much in love with Holmes and Watson and had the knowledge base to do the work they do. Add to that all the others interviewed in the show and you had an excellent view of all that goes in to it.
"Unlocking Sherlock" elevated the show "Sherlock" even more for me. These guys know what they are talking about.
Sure, there are still things I find fault with on the show (my wife says that's just my nature), but now I at least look at those with a different perspective.

Good work gentlemen.


So I happily give "Unlocking Sherlock"


Admitting one error in perception, I hope this doesn't mean I will soon be agreeing with Brad!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Always good to know that the show gets the recognition and applause it richly deserves.

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I had blinders on about those two.
      But they are removed now.

      Delete