Monday, October 1, 2012

The reviews are in.. . .'Elementary'

If you don't like your stories to deviate far from the original source material, then you probably won't like this modern updating of the Canon.

I have to say I enjoyed the show, and will look forward to the next installment.

I also didn't not find myself looking for faults in the series as much as I though I would.
I think that had to do with the fact that the characters, unlike in 'Sherlock', were not played 'over-the-top'.
It did not feel like Mr. Miller was trying create the definitive Holmes by giving an exaggerated performance.
Unlike in 'Sherlock' where, at least to me, we are becoming a little  afraid Mr. Moffat will take it to far.( I still have not given up on 'Sherlock' yet.)

And although Lucy Liu seemed a little subdued in the beginning, I think she ended up giving Watson some good emotional range. And if she continues with this some what distant Watson, it should, at least for a while, keep any 'romantic relations with Holmes' story-line at bay.

I did miss the introduction between Holmes and Watson not taking place in a hospital setting with Watson coming home from war. But that would have been to close to the introductions in 'Sherlock'.

I could have done without the prostitution connection in the beginning, but I am thinking that is Rob Doherty's way of making it clear that his Sherlock Holmes is not gay.(And it would be OK if he was, if that were what Doyle wrote.)  And leaving room for relationship development (forbid!) down the line.

I have no problem with the overcoming of the drug habit angle, after all, he was a drug addict.

The show does bring in a certain amount of humor that does not appear sociopathic, and, so far, none of the characters appear to be (overly) sociopathic.

His digs need to improve a little. Baker Street is after all. . . Baker Street. (There are certain shrines ya just can't mess with!)

And his father caring about his addiction is a new take on that non-canonical relationship. 
If I was bothered by the usually non-existent fathers involvement I think it is only because his father does not appear in the Canon. And although that story-line has not developed yet in the show, it is unusual for that relationship, in non-canonical works, to be a good one.

Aidan Quinn's performance of Gregson does comes off as a little bored, but this is something that may develop over time.

I think the show is a little more accessible to non-Sherlockian (Holmesian) viewers than 'Sherlock', where you have to be fairly well versed in the Canon to appreciate some of the stuff going on.

The show, however, may not offer enough 'Holmes-isms' to get viewers interested in reading the Canon.
Another fault, along those same lines, is that the lack of Holmes-isms may not make it different enough from other police/detective fare to keep non-Sherlockians interested.

We shall see.

First show; Four pipes out of five.

2 comments:

  1. I think that had to do with the fact that the characters, unlike in 'Sherlock', were not played 'over-the-top'. - Well put and agree with you 100%.

    Nice points about Lucy Liu's performance as well.

    Great review. I especially like your ranking system :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the show and hope it develops well.
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete