Sunday, December 2, 2018

It's that time of year.

BLUE, along with HOUND, is one of my favorite stories from the Canon. For many reasons, but mostly for the atmosphere, and the congenial pace at which the story flows.
And, as a craft beer lover, the following scene is probably my favorite image from the story;

"In a quarter of an hour we were in Bloomsbury at the Alpha Inn, which is a small public-house at the corner of one of the streets which runs down into Holborn. Holmes pushed open the door of the private bar and ordered two glasses of beer from the ruddy-faced, white-aproned landlord. “Your beer should be excellent if it is as good as your geese,” said he. “My geese!” The man seemed surprised. “Yes. I was speaking only half an hour ago to Mr. Henry Baker, who was a member of your goose club.”
“Ah! yes, I see. But you see, sir, them’s not our geese.” “Indeed! Whose, then?” “Well, I got the two dozen from a salesman in Covent Garden.” “Indeed? I know some of them. Which was it?” “Breckinridge is his name.” “Ah! I don’t know him. Well, here’s your good health landlord, and prosperity to your house. Good-night.” "

Oh, please, oh, please! Stay and finish the pint together! Stay and talk about the season, the weather, Mrs. Watson. Anything, just stay for a little while!
Holmes and Watson together, out for a pint. A warm, snug pub. A jolly holiday atmosphere still hung in the air. London by gas light on a cold winters night. Who amongst us Sherlockians do not wish to be privy to such a moment in Canonical time. Outside of maybe sitting around the fire with the two of them at 221b, this for me would be my pick spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment